When spring comes and the air is filled with life, we find it easier to motivate ourselves into accomplishing something we desire. So let’s talk about fall and winter motivation. Yes, we love the crisp scent in the air the changing of the leaves in certain areas the blankets of white snow that soon follow. But, these long dark days that come are also accompanied by a feel for most of hibernation from life. No matter what the weather, season, outlook, economy or other factors we usually let place hold over our moods we must find ways to stay motivated and talking about new beginnings even without the spring daisies. Repeat after me—Believe and Believe Absolutely No Matter What!
Even in winter we can motivate ourselves to do great things. Here are some techniques that have worked for me and I hope you too find in them some ways to keep yourself positive and motivated no matter what!
- Necessity – the mindset of literally telling ourselves, “A man’s got to do what a man’s got to do” ~John Wayne Yes, that will only get you so far but it helps to say it out loud on occasion.
- Quotes – I love them and use them often. Surround yourself with quotes that stimulate you. Place them on your bedside table, bathroom mirrors, inside cabinet doors, on the fridge, on your car visor basically anywhere and everywhere! “What is the point of being alive if you do not at least try to do something remarkable?” ~Anonymous
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing–that’s why we recommend it daily.” –Zig Ziglar
- Bring back the light – darker days means we need to counter with light, vitamin D, stock up on omega-3’s, purchase a Sunlamp with Ion therapy, and change up the décor to a brighter color scheme.
- Stay in touch with your tribe – we do not have as many opportunities to hang out at the beach with our friends, but we should not forgo this social need. Bears hibernate we need to stay social so plan a few extra parties, get together, excursions—get creative with them!
- Visualization – very rewarding to picture a summer vacation and follow it up with conducting some preplanning. Cut out pictures and put together a folder of all the places you’d like to travel to once the weather is better.
- Do not wait – why wait for New Years to have a resolution give yourself a couple new things to embrace during the winter.
- Challenge yourself – There is not many mood lifting tasks more powerful that meeting a new challenge something formidable enough to keep your attention.
These and many more winter blues chasers can be put into play now so that no matter what you stay motivated, successful and happy every day!